From its inception in 1923, the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation's leaders sought to further the Foundation's dual mission of education and preservation by printing and selling postcards. Postcards provided welcome revenue, and educated guests and their correspondents about what they could see at Monticello. By 1927, the Foundation had established a post office and shop in the south wing of Monticello’s dependencies. This detail from an early postcard of the South Dependencies shows a writing desk and a mailbox mounted at the entrance to the gift shop for composing and mailing postcards.
The postcards in this collection show changes to Monticello’s East Front, West Front, and Dining Room over time. The Foundation made these changes as it sought to restore the landscape, house, and interior rooms to an ever-more authentic view of Monticello’s appearance during Jefferson’s post-presidential years.
To view the postcards for just one space, filter by "Monticello Views" using the options on the left.